Sunday, May 10, 2015

Bowling...on a Lawn with a BC Ambassador Candidate



During Saturday Afternoon on April 9th I headed down to the Osoyoos Lawn Bowling Club for their Open House. This was my first time [ever] Lawn Bowling albeit this was not my first time ever...bowling... I actually spent most of my childhood bowling at the local Bowling Alley becoming quite fond of the sport after having spent a year living in a house directly next door to the Alley!

Naturally my parents encouraged my fondness for the sport Because it was CHEAP and Close by [literally less than a minute from my house located directly behind my backyard.] So I basically grew up with the sport of 5 pin bowling until I took a short break for a few years when we moved houses and my Ill grandfather moved in. I quickly picked it back up when I was around 12 and bowled right up until I had my Back Surgery in Grade 12 and was barred from playing the sport for a few years until my back healed. However by that point I had aged out of the Youth Bowling league and never found the time to get back into it.

NOW BACK to the LAWN BOWLING, my apologies for my random childhood recollection commercial break. So I was pretty much the youngest person there however I have never felt more welcomed nor more comfortable in such a LARGE group of people with whom I'm unfamiliar. Sometimes it can be a tad bit daunting being a Young person in a group but I have really gotten past that kind of Anxiety and feeling of isolation. NOW I EMBRACE IT. e

One of the main reasons for my entering the British Columbia Ambassador Program was to offer myself a once in a life time journey of self growth. Now I embrace challenging myself and have come to really appreciate how much I am able to Glean and ultimately Grow as a person whilst experiencing new things!

So naturally one of my favorite parts of my candidacy has been getting more involved in my community and branching out to find new things to go out and do. So I WAS PUMPED to try my HAND at LAWN BOWLING. Even though it was extremely hot outside [25 degrees Celsius] and I had already spent a few hours in the hot sun selling Hotdogs for the Museum Fundraiser. Anyway none of that got in the way of my eagerness to learn something new!

So alas |I made my way into the well groomed green and was greeted by a stunning view to boot.


I was super excited as well to see a few faces I recognized including a Reporter who had just been at the Hotdog Fundraiser and left just a few minutes after I did. He even commented about how fast I travel. Good old Pageant life, can't complain.

Anyway I was super happy to learn that I was not the only First timer stepping into the Rink that afternoon but was accompanied by 9 other's as well. And to top off my fabulous afternoon I was going to be taught by a friend of mine & Fellow actor from South Okanagan Amateur Players Michael.

So we were given a few basic lessons about the Rink & how it is surrounded by a Ditch [there is literally a gap inbetween the Club HQ & the RINK. It's kind of interesting to be honest, like a HUGE set of Bowling Gutters. We were also taught the different between the Jack [Small white ball] & our Bowls. Which were actually fairly interesting because unlike a Bowling ball these balls are not dead center weighted by have the ability to curve [Don't ask me about the scientific stuff] so the weight moves around I guess? Anyway we were taught how to find what ball works for us and what not.

Basically the Green is divided into Small rinks [Similar to Alleys] and your team has to stay within your allotted space. Players take turn throwing the Bowls into the heads and towards the I believe the person is called a skip [they keep track of points I think?] And sort of act as a center target and what not.

The objective of the game is to get your ball closet to the Jack without over shooting it or rolling it into a Gutter [in which case the ball becomes dead.] ALSO the most important thing is the MAT. When you go to roll the bowl you need to take one step and keep a foot on or above the mat otherwise it's a Foul [Just like stepping on the buzz line in bowling.]

My team was cool there was 5 of us and basically we more or less just learned how to better aim, grasp more control with the bowl, and how to do some basic bowling analysis. We were all straight up rocking it too though. I was especially PROUD of how well I DID. It was Like BOOM I got my bowling aiming skills back. Turns out bowling for 4 hours a day every Saturday morning for years on end was a GOOD thing after all. In that photo my ball is the closet to the Skip [I think that was what she was called.]

Like I said my team wasn't playing a really intense game just throwing bowls for fun more or less. The scoring and what not was still pretty hazy to me but I just had a LOT of fun throwing bowls whilst basking in the Sunshine [And I brought even more SUNSHINE to the party by wearing my Bright yellow Wander Cafe


Afterwards it was a kind of Mingle Social hour with food and cold drinks. I had me some glasses of ICE COLD ICE TEA. I got to learn lot's more about the club such as they currently have 28 members which is fairly average. A member ship only costs $110 with a yearly ball rental fee of $20 and it comes with

 4 balls for you to use during any of the 4 days 
of the week they are open. 
[Mon/weds/friday starting at 6:00 p.m 
& Saturday they open the Green up at 1:30 p.m. 

Lastly I want to commend the Osoyoos Lawn Bowling Group for hosting such a successful Open HOUSE and I personally cannot wait to get back out there and try it again!! I also hope that the club has an immensely successful 2015 Season of Lawn Bowling! 





---Social Media---

Check out me out here 

Facebook
Page: Chelsea Cameron-Horner: British Columbia Ambassador Candidate 
https://www.facebook.com/ceceforbcap

Blogs~
Blogger: http://ceceforbcap.blogspot.ca/2015/05/bowlingon-lawn-with-bc-ambassador.html
WordPress: https://ceceforbcap.wordpress.com/2015/05/10/bc-ambassador-candidates-goes-bowling-on-a-lawn/

YouTube - Bellz9113 
Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUCQgvqRHeI&index=29&list=PL1XRRHCh46sxLua4RLn-rKEpowPARvLaC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qATXVFG7eo4&list=PL1XRRHCh46sxLua4RLn-rKEpowPARvLaC&index=30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6mQn7_Z7CM&index=31&list=PL1XRRHCh46sxLua4RLn-rKEpowPARvLaC

BC Ambassador Candidacy 2015 Vlog Playlist 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1XRRHCh46sxLua4RLn-rKEpowPARvLaC

Find me else where on Social Media~ 
Instagram @princesscece1991 
https://instagram.com/p/2fTqcmQzkt/?taken-by=princesscece1991
https://instagram.com/princesscece1991/

Twitter @PrincessCeCe91
https://twitter.com/PrincessCeCe91





\


No comments:

Post a Comment